A miracle of modern engineering and science in the truest sense, Palm Jumeirah is a man-made island that has become an important landmark in Dubai. Developed in the shape of a huge palm tree, it is termed as the “eighth wonder in the world”. Many people look for villas and apartments for sale in The Palm Jumeirah despite their high costs for the luxuries and mesmerising views they offer.  

Apart from its infrastructure, it is also famous for ultra-luxury residential spaces it nestles. A total of 159 sales transactions were made in this development in the 3rd quarter of 2020. However, the figures show a 77% increase as compared to the preceding quarter. 60% of these transactions were made for apartments, while Palm Jumeirah villas for sale accounted for the remaining 40%.

A project by Nakheel, the development of Palm Jumeirah began in 2001 and it only took only 6 years for this mega project to be completed. Read on for some interesting facts about Palm Jumeirah – an epitome of class and luxury:

Interesting Facts Not Everyone Knows about Palm Jumeirah

Construction Facts

  • Palm Jumeirah was constructed at the cost of $12 billion. The basic infrastructure of this project was ready by 2004. However, the construction started in 2006.
  • Before the construction started, numerous professional divers were hired to analyse the feasibility of this project. They were also responsible for exploring the rock formation in the area.
  • Palm Jumeirah is a unique engineering marvel in more than one way. During the construction of this project, no concrete or steel material was used. For its construction, 7 million tons of rocks were used to build the base, sourced from the Hajar Mountains. Other than that, 94 million cubic metres of sand was used. This amount of sand and rock can be used to create a 2-metre high wall that can surround the entire globe three times.
  • As stated above, Palm Jumeirah is designed in the shape of a huge Palm tree. The Global Positioning System was used to determine the accuracy of the shape.
  • As Palm Jumeirah was constructed on the Arabian Gulf, there was a risk of typhoons and storms. However, architects used breakwaters for its protection. Geotextile fibre and sand, along with small and medium rocks, were used to make breakwater. These breakwaters serve as a shield under the crescent. And because of this shield, you can find numerous hotels, resorts, residential spaces and retail options in Palm Jumeirah.

Housing and Real Estate Facts

  • The project was completed in 2006 and it welcomed its first residents in 2007. By the end of 2007, 500 people had shifted in this development.
  • Renowned celebrities from around the world have their properties located in Palm Jumeirah. These include famous footballer David Beckham, Bollywood superstar Shahrukh Khan and the internet sensation and reality star Kim Kardashian. Bollywood starlet Shilpa Shetty too owns a villa in Palm Jumeirah.
  • Residential properties in this development are famous not only in Dubai. They are recognised globally. This is why you would find apartments and villas for rent in Palm Jumeirah at higher rates as compared to other neighbourhoods in the emirate.
  • As per Q3, 2020 statistics, most expensive properties sold in Palm Jumeirah in different categories are:
    • Signature Villa: AED 33m
    • Apartment in 5 Palm Jumeirah: AED 21m
    • Off-Plan Property in One by Omniyat: AED 23m

General Facts

  • For Palm Jumeirah, over 12,000 trees were planted and grown in a nursery.
  • A 1.4km long bridge connects Palm Jumeirah to Dubai. It also has a monorail that bridges this development to the Dubai coastline for transport purposes. The crescent of the Palm is connected with the trunk via a tunnel.
  • Not many people know that Palm Jumeirah is part of a three-island project. Therefore, the other islands that will be included in this collection are Palm Jebel Ali and Palm Deira.
  • Palm Jumeirah spans over an area of 5.72 sq. km. This area can encapsulate a total of 600 football pitches. Amazing! Isn’t it?

A Final Word

In a nutshell, Palm Jumeirah is no less than an architectural marvel. If you’d make a list of best places to live in Dubai, this development will most certainly be part of it. You would find listings for Palm Jumeirah apartments for rent along with villas and townhouses in every property portal. For the best ones, you can contact Zoom Property. 

Follow Us